WORK

WORK. It's what we do, what we obsess over, celebrate, complain about, get paid for. We may call it Art, but it's still work. Particularly for creative types, where we do our work must have something to do with how it turns out, for better or worse - yet we rarely get to see behind the curtain.

We would like you to share something about your special place where creativity blooms. So where do you work?

Monday, August 1, 2011

Is there Creative Life Beyond the Cubicle?

Does anyone actually work here?
 Allison Arieff, former editor of Dwell magazine, design maven and NY Times blogger, examines the stark differences between  the image of the office cubicle, as promoted by high-design modular furniture companies, and the down to earth, ad-hoc places where many creatives actually do their work. She asked the provocative question, is there a better big-new-idea than the cubicle - and boy did she get responses. Most people railed against the cube, a few suggested only a private closed office will do; but no-one really described anything remotely new or different.

Making it real: a creative comfort zone
Ideas about work spaces range from interesting to absurd, but we are always curious to see the actual places where creative people work. Most telling was Andrew Berardini's musing on his own, very real desk.The differences between the real and the ideal seem to be vast.
Get the full story here: Beyond the Cubicle

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have a very creative job. I own and operate a violin music lessons and violin repair and sales company. I also sell products off all kinds not just violin products online. I work on and off the computer. I can work part time or full time but the more I put in my work the more money I make. My husband even gave the company it's name Creative Beyond Life. Since I am a creative person. I love being self employed and don't want to work for anyone else again that is a big corporation with too many rules and regulations. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete